crockpot chicken tortilla soup

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Nothing says comfort like a bowl of chicken tortilla soup.  The day of my first room for my Spring Cleaning Blog Series it was cold and raining. So not only is this is a crockpot meal (which tend to be easy) but I thought it would be just what I needed after an afternoon of cleaning.

This is what you will need:


  • 1 4pk of chicken thighs (I prefer thighs for this recipe)
  • 1 [15oz] can of whole peeled tomatoes - mashed
  • 12oz red enchilada sauce (if you don't like spice) I use 14-15oz
  • 1/2 large onion - chopped
  • 1 [4oz] can chopped green chilies
  • 3 gloves garlic - diced (or 1 1/2 tsp if you use pre minced)
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 [14.5oz] can chicken broth
  • 2 tsp taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 [10oz] package of frozen corn
  • 2 tbs fresh chopped cilantro
  • corn tortillas
  • vegetable oil
  • shredded cheese (optional)
  • avocado (optional)
Directions
  • Boil chicken - if you have additional salt or taco season you can add to boiling chicken
  • While chicken is boiling place in crockpot - tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, garlic, water, chicken broth, taco seasoning, salt, corn and cilantro (putting a little aside to garnish with). Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours and on high for 3-4 hours.
mashing whole tomatoes
refrigerated garlic
  • When chicken is done place in bowl of stand mixer or separate mixing bowl. Using the stand mixer or hand mixter on low shred chicken. Bones are okay, once shredded remove bones.


  • Add shredded chicken to crockpot, stir and recover.
  • About a 1/2 hour before done preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on baking sheet.

  • Bake in preheated oven until crisp - about 10-15 mintues.
  • While strips are baking prepare your garnishes - cut up avocado, shred cheese, etc
  • When strips are done top soup with desired garnish.
I like it all in my soup. This bowl of soup hit the spot on my cold and raining day of spring cleaning.


You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. Sounds great to me. Still need something warming during the early Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so yum...thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chelsea! The soup sounds great. Can't wait to make some. Found your lovely blog at nifty thrifty Sunday.

    Peace,
    Linda at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta let me know what you think. Thank you for taking some time to hang with me ;)

      Delete
  3. Looks so tasty! I need to try!
    I would love if you link this to my Link party on Monday!
    XOXO
    Isabelle

    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite...I will def stop by.

      Delete
  4. This looks great! Simple and flavorful. We love pretty much anything Mexican at our house so I will give this a try! Krista @ http://ahandfulofeverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heart Mexican food...soooo good. You might see a trend on my site because of this...lol.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful soup! Thank you so much for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup looks SO DELICIOUS! Thanks for linking up this post to The Best Blog Recipe’s Weekend re-Treat #9!

    I know I’m running a little bit behind in pinning but I wanted to stop by and pin your image to My Link Parties Craft/DIY & Recipe Boards while I was here.

    Hope to see you link up again at the party this weekend! It just went live on the blog not too long ago 

    Shauna
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/
    http://ready2loseweight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just put together a "50 Fabulous Chicken Dishes" Recipe Round Up from links that were submitted to The Weekend re-Treat over the past couple of weeks and this recipe was included and featured in today's post!

    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/04/50-fabulous-chicken-dishes.html

    Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes

    ReplyDelete