crockpot chicken tortilla soupThursday, March 21, 2013
Nothing says comfort like a bowl of chicken tortilla soup. The day of my first room for my Spring Cleaning Blog Series it was cold and raining. So not only is this is a crockpot meal (which tend to be easy) but I thought it would be just what I needed after an afternoon of cleaning.
This is what you will need:
- 1 4pk of chicken thighs (I prefer thighs for this recipe)
- 1 [15oz] can of whole peeled tomatoes - mashed
- 12oz red enchilada sauce (if you don't like spice) I use 14-15oz
- 1/2 large onion - chopped
- 1 [4oz] can chopped green chilies
- 3 gloves garlic - diced (or 1 1/2 tsp if you use pre minced)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 [14.5oz] can chicken broth
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 [10oz] package of frozen corn
- 2 tbs fresh chopped cilantro
- corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- shredded cheese (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- Boil chicken - if you have additional salt or taco season you can add to boiling chicken
- While chicken is boiling place in crockpot - tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, garlic, water, chicken broth, taco seasoning, salt, corn and cilantro (putting a little aside to garnish with). Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours and on high for 3-4 hours.
|mashing whole tomatoes|
- When chicken is done place in bowl of stand mixer or separate mixing bowl. Using the stand mixer or hand mixter on low shred chicken. Bones are okay, once shredded remove bones.
- Add shredded chicken to crockpot, stir and recover.
- About a 1/2 hour before done preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp - about 10-15 mintues.
- While strips are baking prepare your garnishes - cut up avocado, shred cheese, etc
- When strips are done top soup with desired garnish.