roping around

Monday, March 11, 2013

Slowly but surely I am settling into my office. It isn't anywhere near where I would like it to be it but....baby steps. The colors for my office are gray and white (shocker, right?) with accents of corals and ice blues. One day...onnnne day it will be done but for now it is sort of a modge podge of stuff. Anywho I wanted to soften up the space.

My favorite flowers are hydrangea and lisianthus, which is very unfortunate to my husband because they aren't the easiest to remember. I don't have the luxury of having fresh flowers on the daily however I found some gorgeous stems at Hobby Lobby. With my stems in hand I thought "How will I work these into the room?"

Well here it is...I am in love! I smiled when I was done. And it only cost me the price of the stems which were 50% off and the rope, which makes the result even sweeter.



Here is the how to on this little project.

 
 


 After collecting your materials, plug in your glue gun to let that start warming up. Once your glue gun is warmed start by tacking down the end of the rope at the bottom of your can making sure this initial tack holds firmly when you let go.

Start wrapping the rope around the can using a dot of glue every 3 inches or so. As you are working around attempt to get the rounds of rope as close together as possible.
 
 
 
Work your way up the can.
 
 

When you reach the top have the rope just barely exceed the rim of the can so you do not see it at eye level.
 
 
 
Grab your artificial stemps and your wire cutters and cut them down. I didn't want any stemp showing for mine. Start off cutting your stems too long so you can slowly trim. Once they are too short there isn't much you can do. If you are using real flowers this is where the mason jar comes into play, arrange your boquet, add water and done!
 
 

I think this was a very rewarding project.
 
 

You Might Also Like

42 comments

  1. This is absolutely adorable! I love the look of the rope. I want to do this to hold pens in my craft space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Super simple but looks expensive.

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I love crafts like this! Thanks for Sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! And I love hydrangea's, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute! I am going to have to pin this because I would love to make it for my guest room!
    Stopping by from the Homestoreis A2Z Party :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great...thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. How charming! I love this! Another reason for my husband to let me keep cans and whatnot!! :) I'd love for you to share this at my weekly Show Off Your Shell Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have a box of cans and he always rolls his eyes, I know he wants to trash it sooo bad.

      Delete
  6. Love it! So cute! I, too, like white and grey ;)
    I found you today from Today's Creative Blog Linky. I hope you can stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found you again today - and Pinned It!
      I found you today at Ginger Snap Craft's Linky. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
      ~ Megin of VMG206
      www.vmg206.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Well thanks, yes I will be stopping by your blog today! Thank you for coming by again!

      Delete
  7. Found you through the Too Cute Tuesday.

    Recently did a similar project with light bulbs & twine. Made super cute pears. Defiantly gonna to try this too. I've seen people use old vases before, but I like that you used a recycled can.

    http://craftyshirl.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOohhh I love the idea of the pears! I will also be doing with this a tall vase to put flowers as well. I just love the look!

      Delete
  8. Ha! This is brilliant! I would have never guessed it was covering an old can.

    I would love it if you would share this project sometime over at F-it Fridays-
    http://www.parloandlogi.com/category/f-it-friday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for the invite. I would love to join in.

      Delete
  9. Great idea! This looks lovely! I've tried with jute before but its so thin and tedious! I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! This seriously took me maybe 20 minutes. It went super fast. I hope you do try it again.

      Delete
  10. Hi Chelsea ! I love your little vase, so cute ! I'm a big fan of "rope-ing" things too, in fact I just gave a new look to a mirror with this technique. Here's the link if you want to take a look : http://frenchhappynest.blogspot.fr/2013/02/diy-rope-mirror.html. I plan on revamping a lamp the same way soon ! Yeah, I think I'm addicted ... (I've found you via HoH by the way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh what a great idea! I would love to check it out. Thank you for the link. I will definitely do another piece I am just not sure what yet.

      Delete
  11. Great idea! Would be perfect for decoration in a beach house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We have have a coastal cottage feel or least I am trying ;) Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. This is really pretty. I love hydrangeas too. I wish I could grow them here but the temperatures just won't allow it. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity to share my posts and for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  13. Hopped over from Or So She Says... super cute vase! I have done something similar to hold craft supplies with jute twine on a tin can. I love this look! Thanks for sharing!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Clever! Love the rope's texture. I've done this on storage boxes and love how they look! Now I have to find some cheap rope at yard sales/thrift stores to make more. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the look so much I need to make sure I don't go crazy with rope décor...lol

      Delete
  15. Very lovely.
    I am linking in from Family fun Fridays. I love the soft tones and gentleness.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! Featured it tonight at Monday Funday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  17. How sweet... I love it! Pinned. Thanks so much for coming to (link) party with me... I hope you'll come again next week to Super Saturday Show & Tell! http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the pin!

      Delete
    2. Just stopping by to let you know you were featured on Super Saturday Show & Tell today... come grab a button! http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com :) Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend. xoxo~ Ruthie

      Delete
  18. Love your upcycle! What a great use for an old formula can! Would love for you to share at the party! xo Bridgett

    http://www.osiemoats.com/2013/03/link-up-party-6.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invite, I would love to stop by! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  19. Pinned it. :-) Thanks for sharing at Family Fun Friday!
    Monica
    http://happyandblessedhome.com

    ReplyDelete