spring cleaning week #2: the entry/mudroom

Wednesday, March 20, 2013




The entry way can set the tone and mood for your whole home. It is the first impression when someone walks through the door. It is funny because we enter our home through the garage for the most part so every once in awhile I will enter through the front door to make sure I like what I see and feel when I do.

If you have a mudroom this is a wonderful extra to have in your home. A place to literally hang your coat, place your shoes and keep all in one place. We didn't have a mudroom when we moved in but we converted a part of our garage into one.


Lets get cleaning, print your list here:

  • Dust light fixtures
  • Dust art/mirrors
  • Wipe down window sills
  • Remove items from able/shelving - dust furniture
  • Polish furniture (if applicable)
  • Dust items and return
  • Wipe down walls and baseboards
  • Wipe down switch plates and outlets
  • Wipe down doors (including top ledge of door), knobs and trim
  • Entry closet (if applicable) - empty, vacuum, purge and organize
  • Purge shoes that are too small
  • Sweep and mop/vacuum floor
  • Launder rugs

Our Entry Way

The table holds our entry way décor.


Our entry way Scentsy warmer - Tilia
 On the first shelf holds two baskets I purchased at Target (here). They are our return baskets. Anything that needs to go back upstairs gets placed in these baskets. One basket for Mama and Dada and one for the girls.


I haven't decided what I want on the lower shelf so empty it remains. The basket to the right is for visiting umbrellas.

Above our table I made a collage of family pictures. I purchased frames from all over including thrift shops, spray painted them and hung them. I like the texture of different frames even though they are all the same color. The trick to this is to lay the frames on the floor in the shape you want to display (a square in my case)  and hang them one by one moving the frames like puzzle pieces. One of the frames from when I was growing up - my mom had my kindergarten picture in it. Kinda cool.


Our Mudroom


The upper baskets are labeled: Hats, Cold Gear, Umbrellas (I don't know why we have so many) and Totes


One basket for each family member's shoes in the cubbies. I need to label these 1-4.

Thank you for hanging out with me for another week. See you on Sunday to tackle the bedrooms.


View the other weeks here.

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. This is great! I live in a three story house and I also find baskets to be a great way to store things until they get put on the right floor. Never waste a trip right? I also like the way you built your mud room organizer in your garage, especially since you enter your house from there. Nice job. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so glad you enjoyed this post. I will be posting about how we built the garage hall tree - super easy. Thank you for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. Awesome post and list. Somehow along the line I missed the Spring Cleaning lesson as "Girl School". I need help and this is it. I will soon be an expert thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet. Anything I can do to help make it just that much easier. For me cleaning used to be a chore but I have changed my outlook on it - not to mention I bust my best dance moves cleaning ;)

      Delete
  3. Yep..... sounds like I need to do all of these things in my mudroom.... Perhaps then it would be photo-worthy like yours is!

    thank you for sharing!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Crystelle, just you wait. Coming up I have a post for the creation of this mudroom with an all too embarrassing before picture :::cringe::: Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oh this looks beautiful! You have such a nice house! Thanks for sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chandra, you are very sweet. It isn't what we dream of but we are doing our best to make it 'our home'. Thank you for taking some time to hang out with me ;)

      Delete
  5. Great tips and check-list.

    I would love for you to link up this - and your other spring cleaning posts - at the Empty Your Archive link party. We have a special focus this week on spring cleaning, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete