spring cleaning week #3: the playroom

Wednesday, March 27, 2013



Toys, toys, toys...I am up to my ear in toys. Seriously, do these things multiple on their own? Why is it that when you put socks in the dryer - items you need - they disappear with out a trace and then toys seem to proliferate all on their own??? Maybe the socks are given some kind of deal in the dryer to become toys :::bangs head on desk::::

:::brushes hair out of my face::: Lets get down to business. We are in week #3 of my Spring Cleaning Blog Series and today's room is the playroom. If you don't have a dedicated playroom simply go through the toys you do have whether it be a toy bin, toy area or even a game room (even the darts need to be cared for). If you don't have children and don't have toys in the house use this day to catch up on some DVR'd shows ;)

Click here for the list.



  • Dust light fixtures/ceiling fan
  • Empty out toy chest and wipe out (purge unneeded toys)
  • Sanitize and return toys to chest
  • Clear shelving/drawers and wipe out (purge unneeded toys)
  • Sanitize and return toys to shelves/drawers
  • Sanitize free standing toys
  • Dust furniture
  • Wipe down table tops/chairs
  • Wash/spot clean fabric covered surfaces
  • Wipe down window sills
  • Wipe down walls and baseboard
  • Wipe down switch plates and outlets
  • Wipe down doors (including top ledge of door), knobs and trim
  • Sweep and mop/vacuum



Here is our play "room" area. We have a large spare room that I believe is supposed to either a formal dining room or family room however if you understood our layout you would be left with a "?" over your head too. So we divided it and half is my husband's office area and the other half is the girls' play space.



Our oldest daughter is 3 and so far this is working great for her. I spent all of $16 (the cost of the monkey decal and bean bag) to make this little room. You can read about it here including the making of the chalkboard display boards. 


I would like to add one more feature and that is a decal saying "Let them be little 'cause they are only that way for a little while" but haven't made the leap yet. It takes time for me to sit on an idea.

Do you have a play area for your little ones? You can easily put one together with things you have around the house. Sometimes you just have to stare at something long enough to see it can be used for a different purpose. And the best party, your kiddos won't notice the difference if you spent $300 or $3.

Check out the other weeks of my Spring Cleaning Blog Series here.


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I know you're right. I have been psyching myself up for washing the toys for about two weeks :) I know our readers would love this, too. We have a weekly link up party going on now (Thursdays), and we would love to see this post and/or any others you would like to share at allthingswithpurpose.com. Hope to see you soon! p.s. I also love your kiddo activity with the felt easter egg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spring cleaning! Thanks for the list!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, it looks great! Thanks for sharing it at my link party last week. The creator of the Somewhat Simple website puts together compilation posts for Disney Spoonful, and I know she will soon be compiling toy/playroom posts. You should enter this - you may end up on the Spoonful site (and their FB page which has a ton of followers)! You can find more info here: http://www.somewhatsimple.com/i-want-to-feature-you/. Just wanted to pass on the info :)

    ReplyDelete