faux hall tree

Monday, April 01, 2013

I am super excited about this post, mainly because of the result but I want to give you a little back story. We enter our home through the garage for the majority of the time. Over time items started to pile up at the door on the garage side. We don't wear shoes in our house so those too contributed to a pile...a big ol' heaping one. In an effort to declutter the entry of our garage entrance I decided to dedicate some space in making a mudroom.

You might think that it must be very expensive to do and I thought it would add up quickly too, but I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. We accomplished this faux hall tree simply mounting 1x4s, building the cubby bench separately and installing the upper shelf. I then added some hooks, bought some baskets and MUDROOM!

It is amazing how different I feel when I get home from work to a nice organized and clean space. Ahhhhh.

So here is my disturbingly hard-to-put-up before picture of our garage entry

Looking through cracked fingers right now

So in my research to find a hall tree I liked and a hall tree that my husband could build, I never quite found the right one. What we did was took features from a hall tree that I liked and a mudroom I love and combined them to make our own. These were the two that were our inspiration.

[ana-white.com]                                                                                                        [abowlfulloflemons.net]
The first picture is my "this is something we can do" and the second picture is on my 'if I could have any mudroom it would be this one' list! I have followed Toni at A Bowl Full of Lemons for a little over a year and a half now. I haven't found one thing that I haven't liked with her decor and am excited that even in this little way we could get a similar feel. So with these two inspiration photos we began our project.

First thing was removing that pile of clutter, sorting through it and putting everything away. That cleared up the space so we could get started. We incorporated a "faux" aspect to our hall tree meaning there is no back to it like a traditional hall tree. It is directly mounted to the wall.



So here is the bare bones of our hall tree before paint, hooks and baskets. Simple cubby, frame and shelf up.  Because there is no back to this piece it isn't moveable like a normal hall tree would be that is why I dubbed it "faux".


Here it is all finished! From the bare bones look the hubs painted it, hung the hooks and laid some tile. I added the baskets/bins and all done.

Here are the items:
  • wood: $40
  • paint (free - we had it)
  • hooks: (Home Depot - here)
  • upper bins (Target - couldn't find them online, I believe they are Trend Lab)
  • lower bins (Target - you can check them out here)



The top bins are labeled:
  • Hats
  • Cold Gear
  • Umbrellas
  • Totes
There is a bottom basket for each member of our family for shoes - I would like to add number labels to those baskets.

Pretty drastic before and after, huh?


This has made coming home from work so enjoyable. I absolutely love what we were able to accomplish with the space and budget we have. Thanks for spending some time with me. Have you ever just had enough and organized your heart out?



You Might Also Like

40 comments

  1. This looks so professional. How hard was it to build?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it wasn't difficult at all. All right angles. He threw it together fairly quick. The time that took the most time was figuring out the 'schematics' if you will. Depth, height, etc. I am having him draw it out for me so I can add it to the post.

      Delete
  2. we recently re-did our front entry too and i looooove it! yours looks so fabulous. great work! go diy'ers:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! Looks so great! I want to know if it was hard to build too?

    Emily @ www.thebensonstreet.com

    P.S. Found you from Keeping it Simple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was hard ;) But after asking the hubs he said on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest he would rate it a 4. Keeping in mind he would be considered a novice to wood working. We don't have tons of tools and it isn't often he creates stuff like this....so pretty easy. I am having him work on drawing out the plans so we can share.

      Delete
  4. This is fantastic! What a great use of space and creativity! Great work! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has definitely brightened up the garage!

      Delete
  5. That is gorgeous and looks like it's own piece of furniture and not that it was built onto the wall! I would love for you to share this on my weekly link party Blog Stalking Thursday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you for the invite! I will most def stop by.

      Delete
  6. Looks great. I am jealous that you had the space to build that. I'll put it on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have never guessed we did. I don't even know when it clicked. Just one day it did and I thought why not convert 4 feet of space to the left of the door as a makeshift mudroom! I am very pleased with the result. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. That turned out great! I’d love it if you’d link up to The DIY’ers link party. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-diyers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to visit!

      Delete
  8. This is amazing! I need to make one of these for my house! I'll be featuring this on my blog tomorrow!

    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    Thanks for linking up!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I am so excited! Thank you Sumo! I have been dying to be featured on your blog...yahoooo! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  9. Awesome! What a great way to organize - I love that it's in the Garage. Pinned it.
    I'm visiting you today from Sunday Scoop. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Medicine Cabinet Makeover

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, and so much less expensive than a ready made one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cool... a little bird may have told me that your being featured tomo :) COme Grab a button and thanks so much for sharing at Super Saturday Show & Tell… I’m SO glad you came to (link) party with me! http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com Come back again tomorrow to share! xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What type of wood did you use and how thick was it?? This looks awesome and we would like to do something similar for our mudroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any chance you will be posting material list and build plans?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Chelsea.
    Love this design.
    Did your fella get the plans drawn up?
    If he has please could you send me them..

    Thanks heaps

    Rick
    Rickjholden@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, can you direct me to step by step instructions to complete this at home myself? Thanks! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would also be interested in the plans. Please provide to me at jmartial@hotmail.com
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could i have the plans too please. jlconnell5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. interested in plans, looks like our garage. keithbsamuel@Me.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This look so clean and professional.I like your plan....
    You can also visit this link..
    http://www.platinumflooringcompany.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this. Trying to do this in my entryway. Can I have the plans too, please?? Tniko21@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. ts Really Loving .

    Finally, A Complete Hardwood Flooring

    Platinum Flooring Company

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous08 June, 2016

    Could you please send me your plans? I love your design!
    katie.steenblock@hotmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wondering if you would be willing to share plans for this? We recently bought a new home and this would be PERFECT for our garage entry!
    Thanks!
    briannej78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there! I love this. Could I also have the dimensions? Brittanystrebeck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, this is awesome! Were you able to provide the dimensions and instructions? Thank you! Brownmn02@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Would there be any way I could get the plans for this project? I'm in need of these plans as my wife really like your look! Thank you! dbbaseball@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks great and exactly what I am looking for! Could I get the dimensions and instructions as well? hazeleyedgurl102@yahoo.com Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could I get the dimensions and instructions as well? gsstephens@gmail.com Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete