tostada de camarones (shrimp tostada)

Thursday, April 11, 2013

One of my food weaknesses is Mexican food. I could eat it day and night, night and day. The down side to it is the food tends to be deep fried or made with lard/fat, which is why it tastes so good. When I was about 20 or so I tried my first tostada de camarones and it was all over! For me it is the perfect blend of tang, spice, and flavor. It is made up of practically all vegetables with exception to the shrimp and tostada. And for something that tastes soooo good, I don't feel a tad guilty.

This would be a great summer meal as it is a cold dish however I love it so much I eat it all year round. With nothing to cook except for the shrimp this an easy meal to throw together. This recipe is based purely on taste so I will give you the basic recipe and you can adjust it how you like, say you like more tomato and less cilantro.

looks so yummy even before made
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb shrimp - cooked (we use 70/90 but any will do and coarsely chop)
  • 1 cucumber - peeled and chopped
  • 2 small tomatoes - chopped (about 1 1/2c)
  • 1/2c white onion - diced
  • 1/2c cilantro - chopped
  • 3 limes
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • tostadas
  • 1 avocado (optional)
  • Tapatio hot sauce
Directions:
  1. Boil water and cook shrimp - if frozen boil water to heat through.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine cucumber, tomato, onion, cilantro, juice of 2 limes and salt.
  3. Once shrimp is done cool (remove shell/tails) and coarsely chop. Add to bowl
  4. If using avocado - chop and add to bowl and combine.
  5. Place about 1/2 cup of mixture on tostada - alter to taste with juice from remaining lime and hot sauce.

all ingredients combined

hot sauce and lime on tostada on blue plate - just lime on tostada on white plate


Not only is this dish amazing but it is figure friendly as well. The mixture yields 7 servings when using 1/2cup of mixture on each tostada.
  • Calories with avocado per serving: 194 calories
  • Calories without avocado per serving: 150 calories
I had three for dinner the other night and the store didn't have any avocados that were ready so it was 450 calories of pure deliciousness loaded with veggies and protein.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I tried my first tostada last week and fell in love with them too. They aren't very well known over here in Australia so I was very lucky when an American friend made some for us!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe-I'll give it a try!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz
    www.natashainoz.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you from This gal can cook. What a wonderful recipe. I can't wait to try this. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Enjoy your day!
    Kollette
    www.weeklyessential.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super yum!! Thanks for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and I just pinned! Love healthy meal ideas, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking at Memories by the Mile. I love tostado's and shrimp. I will give it a try. I just pinned it.
    Hope to see you next week for Tuesday Trivia at http://www.memoriesbythemile.com/
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE shrimp and avocado! I can not wait to make this...thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete