pizza casserole

Thursday, May 09, 2013

I stumbled upon a pizza casserole while loitering on Pinterest one day evening 6 hour Pinteresting session lasting through day and night. I thought it was a great concept to achieve the pizza flavor without the calories or a small loan. Am I the only one that thinks pizza costs are crazy high? Not sure if I am alone but it is like they are charging per calorie.


So I made it the first time following the recipe exactly and very quickly made my edits and have made it fit into our flavor preferences. You will probably need to edit it as well based on your taste buds and the fact that I don't eat red meat or pork so I use ground turkey and turkey pepperonis. Regardless though this is a huge hit in my house. My hubby loves it and so does my 3 year old. And don't tell her but she never even knew she ate bell peppers, onions or any other veggie I stick in there. It is great! So if you are trying to get the kiddos to eat more veggies this is a great dish to hide them in.

You will need:

onion and bell pepper not shown

  • 1 lb ground meat
  • 1 pkg pepperonis
  • 1 tbsp olive oil to sautee veggies/ground meat
  • 4 cups shredded mozerella
  • 1 lb pkg of rotini noodles
  • 1 bell pepper chopped (option or if you are doing supreme version)
  • 1 medium onion chopped (optional)
  • 2 jars of spaghetti sauce
  • seasonings to jazz up to her flavor preferences



Time to get cooking.

Start off by boiling your pasta water. While you have the water waiting to come to a boil I chop the onion and bell peppers.

In a tbsp in extra virgin olive oil sautee the onion and green bell pepper until the onions just become translucent. Once the veggies are ready add and brown ground meat and season with preferred spices (i.e. salt, pepper, garlic)

Add noddles to boiling water and season with salt. When noodles are done drain.

When meat is fully browned remove from heat.

Now assemble the casserole.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Now, start by placing a small amount of spaghetti sauce to the bottom of the baking dish.

Layer half the noodles

Layer half of the meat mixture

Layer half the sauce

Layer the rest of the noodles

Layer half the cheese

Layer the rest of the meat

Layer the rest of the sauce

Layer the rest of the cheese

Add pepperonis

Bake casserole covered with tin foil for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes bake uncovered for 15 minutes. When done let stand for 10-15 minutes to stiffen up - otherwise it will fall apart all over the plate.


I didn't have tin foil the day I made mine (smack my forehead) so my 'ronis curled up a bit. But it didn't affect the taste one bit :)

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. That looks yummy, easy and like there's plenty leftover for the next day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, so much left over! Feeds us for 3 full meals.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Your recipe was the most viewed last week at Church Supper and is featured today! Please stop by to see it, and grab my featured on button! Have a blessed day! ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! That is awesome! Thank you for having me....I added your featured button to my page.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great meal! Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete