felt flower craft

Monday, July 08, 2013

Don't ya like a good craft? I sure do. This craft came about as a way to add a little embellishment to a mirror I had painted. Turns out I liked the mirror just painted - no embellishment. But I thought I would share how to make these felt flowers anyway because they are too cute not to share.

They work great on headbands, as a brooch, or an embellishment for something. This project in total cost me around $0.25. Yep, that's right! I had everything I needed except for one piece of felt. You do need a button for the center so unless you have some buttons this project may hit around $1.00 - awesome right!

Items You'll Need:

  • Felt
  • Glue gun and glue
  • Button
  • Scissors
  • Something to trace a circle - approx. 3" depending on desired size of flower



Step #1: Cut 6 same sized circles (approx. 3") and one smaller sized circle (approx. 2").


Step #2: Take one felt circle and fold in half. While holding in half apply a drop of hot glue to the center and pinch. Carefully not to burn your fingers.

Step #3: Holding the half circle - fold forward one third and add a drop of glue in the bottom corner (right where my thumb is) and pinch.

Step #4: Flip the circle around and fold forward the other side. Tack with glue.

Holding it from the top the top should form an "S" shape

Step #5: Repeat steps #1-4 to make 6 petals total.

Step #6: Glue each petal to the smaller circle. I like to lay all of the petals loosely on the circle prior to gluing just to gauge my spacing.

Step #7: Glue down button in the center


These felt flowers are so easy and inexpensive! I love the way they turned out. My plans for this flower changed so I am pondering what I can do with it.. In my search I found these great ideas that I wanted to share.


Sources
{1. Make Felt Flower Pin from You Plus Me for Always}
{2. Leather or Felt Flower Gift Idea from Tatertots and Jello}
{3. How to Make a Felt Flower from Mollie Makes}
{4. source unknown}
{5. Felt Flower Tutorial from The Frugal Home Maker}
{6. Fancy Schmancy Holiday Shoppe from Anodyne Design}
{7. Pretty Felt Flower Brooches from Factory Direct Craft}
{8. Little Somethin for Mom from Be Fickle} 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Super cute - love the covered button! =) Hope you have a great week!!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love these and I am putting them on my list of things to make this fall! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these, but put magnets on the back for my daughters school locker! So easy and so cute!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete