homeschool preschool

Friday, October 11, 2013

We had been toying with the idea of home school since Sophie was in the womb. Both of our elementary and high school careers were in public schools however over the course of my adulthood I have developed some serious concerns. So, being the wonderful husband that he is, he mulled over this topic with me being open to whatever I ended up choosing.

To homeschool or not to homeschool? That is the question. For preschool that is.

I started my homework on the subject long before she turned three. I started following some homeschooling blogs, did some research, looked online at my local preschool options - but it wasn't until she turned three that I really began my homework. I scheduled tours, spoke with principals, asked friends and did even more online research.

Let me just say one thing "YIKES! is preschool expensive". That didn't deter us from continuing our search but it definately went in the "Con" column. We weighed the pros and cons and determined that what best fit our needs but still exposes Sophie to what she needs to develop and grow was homeschooling. Right now our work schedules allows one of us to always be home. So why not take advantage of this (while saving some dinero)?

On my path I found a blog called Confession of a Homseschooler .  I really liked her methods (workbox system), schedules, layouts and her at home classroom. She has 4 little ones therefore has a need for an entire room dedicated to her homeschooling but it definitely provided ideas on what we could do just for our one. And although she has so much wonderful information and resources I was a tad overwhelmed at first (I had no clue where to start). But to my relief she had a "getting ready post" to assist in getting prepared and her lessons (by grade) are available for purchase. Thank goodness! So I purchased her Letter of the Week program for my little preschooler. 

Each letter is covered over the course of  a week with different activities to do daily. Included is a weekly schedule which was the most valuable to me. Trying to figure out the schedule stressed me out the most. I then rearranged the schedule a smidge to fit our needs, removed some activities, added others including some I found from 1+1+1=1. I then retyped the schedules for my husband and I to use as a reference throughout the week.

Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler uses the work box system for her schooling which I liked however being that I am not sure if we will be homeschooling beyond this year I didn't want to make the investment just yet. So my solution to that was doing binders. I chose different colored binders that I found on sale after school started and assigned them a day of the week. 

To make this easy for the hubby I matched the binders to the daily schedule which is also color coded. Each activity is placed in a sheet protector. Some activities are dry erase and remain in the sheet protector (I find this saves A LOT of laminating time) and others are pulled out to color or manipulate. Everything we need for each activity is slipped into the sheet protector with the exception of crayons, scissors, markers, etc (I keep those in a small caddy that we pull out as needed).

Here are our binders and color coded schedule to match.






Here is a week in the life of our homeschooling journey. Note:  not all activities are pictured. And a big thank you goes to Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler. If it weren't for incredible organization and huge heart to make her Letter of the Week program available I don't know if I could have been this organized or successful myself.





Friday lessons actually took place on Saturday.  Friday had some unexpected events come up so we weren't able to get school in. The beauty of homeschooling, it fits your schedule.

I also make a chart for Sophie based on our assignments using child friendly symbols. She receives a sticker that she gets to put on her chart after each assignment is completed.


It looks daunting but once you get organized it goes pretty smooth. I will say that taking the time to collect all of your material prior to starting helps streamlining the process. I spent 2 weeks gathering supplies and things. Now when I see something that I would like to incorporate I purchase it and include it in the following week's schedule. 

She also does ABC Mouse [dot] com to give her computer exposure.

Please feel free to ask questions on anything I may have left out. I would love to help you start your own homeschooling journey.

You Might Also Like

0 comments